Monday, April 21, 2008

Some NEW Longview...


I'd hope that most of you know Longview, but in case you don't you should probably check out their Myspace page and take a listen to Further. Their first album, Mercury is a necessity in any collection. The combination of shoegaze textures and alt-pop hooks should please the "indie" crowd and the more mainstream folk as well. Check it out on Amazon, it can usually be had for a pretty modest price (looks like it's just a penny right now!).

The band has been pretty quiet the last few years, especially in the US. Since they're from the UK I can't say that I'm surprised about the lack of US-centric news, but I can always hope. British bands always seem to sneak their way into my playlists more than US bands, which is rather saddening since I rarely get to see them live. Ah well, such is life.

Anyways, they have recently thrown up a few demos on their Myspace page and on their official website. I've posted a few here (my favorites of the batch) but head over to their site(s) for the rest.

[mp3] Waste Tonight
[mp3] Why?

Waste Tonight is the only one of the five cuts that still feels like Mercury - a little more of hook to it then the rest of the cuts. Why has a swirling buildup at the end that you've just GOT to hear.

In general, they seem to be moving more towards shoegaze and further away from the alt-pop that was everywhere to be heard on Mercury. I'm not sure how I feel about the change, but I can't say I didn't expect it.

Buy some music from Longview: Amazon | iTunes
Visit them online: Official | Myspace

0 comments: